Monday, March 03, 2008

Raising the Economic Bar

I was shocked to see today, after seeing the grocery tally for a couple in front of me with a shopping cart half full of groceries. It was a shocking $408.00. My throat dropped at the thought of someone dropping that much money on a visit to the grocery store. Is it me or is that expensive? And when will the day come that people will decide that they won't stand for this inflation anymore. To me, it's ugly. Consumers are spending without thought of how this excessive spending will keep driving the price of everyday living off the charts.
Now I'm not one to be a cheapskate, and I do appreciate the concept of "you get what you pay for", but it seems things are getting out of control. $400 for half a cart of groceries? And now we have gas prices potentially hitting $4.00 a gallon by this summer. There's also the concept of our modern fee-based economy. Just to run you through some examples: In order to take $20.00 out of the ATM, I have to spend $3.00 to make a withdrawal. Now that's not getting what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment