Monday, September 15, 2008

Cursed To Live Under Failure

Talk about being born under a bad sign. As most of you probably don't know, I've been broadcasting a lot from my humble abode, having been laid off this past April. It was not expected to be honest, and I pretty much lost all my health insurance and retirement in the process. Then I sat on the edge of my couch wondering what was going to happen to my 401K that I've had from other jobs in the past, due to the collapsing of huge bank and financing firms. Three out of the five mentioned in the news yesterday are in my portfolio, and I don't know what is going to happen to my investments and their values. I can't fall back to Social Security, because it's been privatized, and back when Bush stated that it was headed toward bankruptcy, he thought that the private market would allow it to grow at a greater rate than the current government system would ever allow. Have you looked at the private market lately, especially this past weekend. It's bottoming out. So where does a guy like me turn for future financial stability? All I get from McCain and Obama is change. Change? What in the world is change going to do for me? I don't want change! I want a commitment to establishing a financial future for me and my loved ones. I want to know that in four years I won't have to worry about working until I die. I won't have to worry about not being able to visit the doctor and have to take out a personal loan to pay the doctor and the medical research labs back. I don't want to feel this unsafe anymore.
Going back to being unemployed, in the past month I have applied for well over 200 positions within and without my skill set. Out of those 200 jobs, I have received only 4 email responses, and 2 phone calls. What about the 194 jobs? Of those 6 responses 2 were rejections, and the other 4 were recruiters asking me if I was willing to relocate across the country for a temporary to permanent job, without the guarantee that I would have a permanent job in 6 months. For one, I don't have the funding to pick up and move across the country. Second, and most importantly theses temp-to-perm positions are ridiculous. What ever happened to getting hired to work for someone permanently?
No matter how the news spins it, it is not news that there is absolutely no value anymore. There's no value in big banks supplying people with endless amount of credit, and expecting there to be more money available to them, because the economic infrastructure in this country didn't support this type of lending behavior. And now a large part of America's population exists off of transparent value, called credit. There's no value in empty promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment